Thursday, May 6, 2010

Fundraising vs. Begging

I had a job once as a canvass director.  Which means it was my job to co-run an office of (mostly) young people who went out door to door asking for money.

A guy I worked with told me that every day when he went to work, his roommate would say: "Good luck with the begging today."

Sometimes, in our darkest hours, we fundraisers do feel like impoverished mendicants.

But that feeling should be a warning system: if it feels like begging, we're doing something wrong.

Fundraising is most successful, and fun and satisfying, when we feel that we're providing something valuable in exchange for our donors' dollars.

Sometimes the "something valuable" is a good or a service.  Like great theater tickets or curator-led private viewings or opportunities to meet brilliant leaders in a field of interest.  The big players in the nonprofit cultural world provide those privileges in abundance, and it plays a big part in their fundraising strategy.  We smaller guys need to figure out how to replicate that formula in a manageable but meaningful way.

For non-arts organizations, the "something valuable" might just be the opportunity to be involved in something important and exciting.  The opportunity to make a real and significant difference in the lives of people who need help, or to get a school built, or to provide potable water to a village that needs it desperately.

Or perhaps there are opportunities to partner with organizations that will enable you to provide special benefits for your donors.

My point is: innovation and bold creativity can go a long way in terms of transforming our asks from unpleasant obligations to stimulating opportunities in the minds of our prospects.

Fundraising is dreary and difficult when we're doing nothing particularly exciting or important and providing our donors with uninspired gratitude in return.

The first step, I remind myself continuously, is figuring out how to make ourselves, and then our donors, excited about the project and the ask.  Sometimes that means expanding the project and increasing the goal.  I tend to think that it's easier to raise a million dollars for a fabulous project than a half million for a mediocre one.

With the right "something valuable" in hand, the fundraising challenge may not be easy, but it won't feel like begging either.

5 comments:

  1. I read a book after graduating (2 years ago!) that talks about delivering value to investors. It's a little more financial but gave me some great ideas that have helped even during the recession. It's called ROI for Nonprofits- have you read it? If so what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Dear admin,I am Lenay Phillipps, I saw your blog post,I have very enjoyed it wonderful information in the blog post I liked it, I have a blog it’s a natural weight related blog Dick and Lenay will see everyone and will learn how to resolve your weight loss problem Dick and Lenay that should be we are providing weight loss solutions through organic food and natural supplements for
    natural weight loss
    lose weight
    weight loss
    diet
    natural supplements

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree there is a massive difference!! http://tacticalfundraising.blogspot.co.uk/2010/05/fundraising-vs-begging.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sing Your Style Studio ,founded by Stephanie Swann, is the place for you! We will assist you to expand your range, smooth out all your breaks, free your voice from strain…and much much more! Learn to sing easily with flexibility and strength and discover and empower whats unique to you!
    Sing Your Style Studio
    online voice instruction
    online voice lessons
    online singing lesson
    voice lessons online
    private voice lessons online

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I am Chris, and I have been willing to help the people of Caiman. I’ve read about their stories and in my simple ways, I hope I can help them. For more details about this cause, check Caiman Haiti Foundation at this website www (.) caimanhaitifoundation (.) org

    ReplyDelete