Monday, December 7, 2009

What do you mean, tactical?

Why, you may ask, did I name my company "Tactical" Fundraising?


Because I've noticed that usually fundraising instruction focuses on issues that are too vague or philosophical for people just starting out.


New fundraisers are typically advised to do things like focus on their missions, understand the psychology of their donors and treat the fundraising process in terms of relationships, rather than transactions.


(All of which I agree with, by the way.)


But I remember being a brand new fundraiser 20 years ago.


And I remember getting advice like that.  And I remember thinking to myself: that sounds great, but what am I supposed to do to get people to give me money?


That's what this blog and my training company are about. The basic tactics of fundraising.  How to write the letters, set up the request meetings, make the asks, pitch the corporate benefits, hire and manage the staff, run the membership program, meet with board members, set projections, measure success, etc. etc. etc.


Because the philosophical and psychological dimensions of fundraising mean nothing if you don't know the tools of the trade.


Don't you agree?

2 comments:

  1. I'm excited about your blog! I can't think of a better person to be lending their expertise. I look forward to your tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Alicia.

    I can't tell you how my heart leaped up to see I actually had a comment on my blog. (And it wasn't Blogger telling me I did something wrong.)

    ReplyDelete